Electoral system is out-dated
Voting at elections varies from 80 per cent at the referendum to just over 30 per cent at local elections.
I suggest this huge difference is due to our ‘First past the Post’ system smuthering different viewpoints.
Examples are easy to find:
1. SMP got 50 per cent of votes but 100 per cent of seats
2. Tories got 25 per cent of electorate = 50 per cent of seats
3. Worthing Council have 90 per cent of seats in the hands of one party
The current system supports a very strange view of democracy. All those who fought so hard to squeeze the vote out of and away from the ‘Establishment’ wanted a ‘by the poeple’ democracy.
Surely its time to modernise our system and make it reflect public views.
St Lawrence Court
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.