Jury reaches verdict after removals worker is accused of killing Bognor Regis dad

A driver, accused of 'using his car as a weapon' to kill a Bognor Regis dad, has been found not guilty.

Thursday, 18th March 2021, 5:19 pm

Christopher Sheehan, 41, a removals worker, of Pound Road, Walberton, was accused of killing Daniel Weyman 32, in Belmont Street in the early hours of September 22, 2019.

After a seven-day trial at Hove Crown Court, the defendant was found not guilty of murder or manslaughter. The jury returned the verdict today (Thursday, March 18), having retired from the court on Wednesday afternoon.

The prosecution had told jurors that Sheehan ‘used his car as a weapon’ to deliberately kill Mr Weyman.

Daniel Weyman with his daughter Rosie

The defence argued that the collision was an accident and Sheehan had no intention to kill. The jury was told that any statements to the contrary were merely circumstantial, ‘as the CCTV camera moved away seconds before the crucial moment’. Read more hereDaniel's mother, Debbie Weyman, said: "This has been an extremely painful time for myself and my family.

"Danny was a much loved son, brother, cousin, nephew, great nephew, grandson and father, and his daughter, Ruby, will never get to know her daddy and will never get to know what an incredible loving and generous man he was.

"I will forever hold in my heart Danny. He will remain in our hearts forever and will be sorely missed by all that loved him."

According to Sussex Police, Curtis Sheehan, 19, unemployed, of Barnham Lane, Walberton, Christopher Sheehan's nephew, had previously pleaded guilty to attempting to pervert the course of justice in relation to the death of Daniel, and to possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply. His sentencing will take place on a date to set by the court.

Daniel Weyman, who lived in Belmont Street, sustained two broken legs and ‘catastrophic head injuries’ after he was struck by a car outside his home. He was taken by air ambulance to hospital in Southampton where he tragically died that afternoon.

The prosecution, authorised by the CPS, followed an investigation by detectives from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team.

Detective Chief Inspector Gordon Denslow said: "We undertook a complex and very thorough investigation, working with the CPS who authorised the charges after detailed consideration.

"We respect the verdict of the jury and note that the trial judge, who allowed all evidence to be put before the jury, made no criticism of the conduct of the investigation. There are no outstanding lines of enquiry and the investigation is closed.

"Our thoughts at the time remain with Danny's family, who we have worked to support over the past 18 months."