Littlehampton have a night to forget

Golds' Peter Beadle in action at Arundel on Saturday
Golds' Peter Beadle in action at Arundel on Saturday

LITTLEHAMPTON Football Club player-manager George Gaskin admitted it was a night to forget for his side after they exited the Sussex RUR Cup to Broadbridge Heath on Tuesday.

Heath progressed into the semi-finals with a 2-0 win and Gaskin said: “We missed so many chances in the first half that it almost seemed that it wasn’t ever going to be our night.

“The game was very stop-start which probably helped them more than it helped us and it’s disappointing as it was a potential final for us. All-in-all, it was a night to forget.”

Both teams went into the game in good form and the hosts started strongly. George Landais saw a shot sail wide on 23 minutes, before Heath had their first attempt in the 26th minute but it was a tame one that trickled wide.

The game livened up as half-time approached, with Landais making Michael Chester in the visiting goal scramble nervously across his six-yard box but the effort from 20 yards was just over on 33 minutes. Shortly afterwards, Scott Packer was just unable to lay a boot on a Shay Wiggans cross.

In first half stoppage time, Ryan Bell teed up Gaskin but his toe-poke went just past the post. Heath went up the other end and a fearsome drive from Jake Legrange was deflected on to the bar with Jon Hendrick beaten.

The second period started as the first left off, with Gaskin benefitting from a clever Bell dummy but his shot missed the target.

Things went rapidly downhill for Golds as Mitchell Hand was booked in the 67th minute for dissent, with the resultant free kick finding Martyn Flack with a free header that put Ollie Moore through. Hand was adjudged to have impeded him which led to a second yellow card within a minute and a penalty that Moore duly netted.

From that point, it was all Heath and they got a second through Moore with five minutes left.

A disappointing night for the hosts was rounded off when assistant boss Steve Tabor was sent from the bench after berating referee Alex Bradley, who after a decent first period had a mixed second.

LITTLEHAMPTON: Hendrick; Packer, M.Hand, Wiggans, McKay, D.Hand, Beadle, Janman, Gaskin, Landais, Bell. Subs: Hutchings (Bell 67), McKenley-Burke (McKay 81), Killner (Janman 87), Bates, Askew.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!