Paine disappointed as East Preston fall in FA Vase

Jack Barnes played the full 90 minutes for East Preston yesterday. Picture: Stephen Goodger
Jack Barnes played the full 90 minutes for East Preston yesterday. Picture: Stephen Goodger

East Preston Football Club boss Bob Paine was left frustrated as his side were dumped out of the FA Vase on Saturday.

Tunbridge Wells, who ply their trade in league above Southern Counties East Premier Division, were ultimately just a little too strong for Paine’s side.

Ryan Crandley’s brace, coupled with strikes from Perry Spackman and Jason Barton helped Tunbridge to a 4-1 victory at The Lashmar.

Paine felt his side were outplayed on the day and said: “It was a really disappointing afternoon for us.

“We were beaten by a more experienced side, who were a little bit sharper than us and seemed to react quicker at times, particularly in the box, which is where all their goals came from.

“The only real positive for me was Dylan Barnes scoring his first goal in senior football.

“He had another three really good chances, which on another day could have resulted in him scoring a hat-trick.

“I was very pleased for him as he has scored seven goals in four games for the under-21’s and is looking very sharp.

“We now have to concentrate on our next two games, which are in the league and very important for us.

“Hopefully we’ll have learnt from this game, which will help us improve going forward.”

Tunbridge took the lead with just five minutes on the clock.

Crandley was left with so much time in the area and he fired a strike home from eight yards after EP failed to clear their lines.

Tunbridge went further ahead on 21 minutes, following a fine save from Jimmy Punter the home side failed to clear and Barton was on hand to fire home the rebound.

A tough afternoon got even harder for East Preston as they were forced into two changes in the final ten minutes in the first 45.

First, Hayden Hunter, who was struggling with a hamstring injury, was replaced by Harry Smith, before Tyrell Brown was forced off with a stomach problem as Jamie Witten came on in place of him.

Crandley struck his second and Tunbridge’s third ten minutes after the interval before the game was put to bed five minutes later.

Spackman was given way too much time and he picked his spot before rifling home from six yards out.

Substitute Dylan Barnes provided some much-needed impetus and got a goal four minutes from time.

Jacob Parazo’s through ball sent him racing away, before rounding Tunbridge’s goalkeeper to make it 4-1.

Barnes so nearly notched his second three minutes later, only to see his effort strike Kieron Tarbie on the goalline in the face and stay out as it ended 4-1.

EAST PRESTON: Punter; Josh Parazo, Jacob Parazo, Hardman, Lyne, M.Smith, Taylor, J.Barnes, Huet, Brown, Hunter. Subs: D.Barnes Hardman), H.Smith (Hunter), Brown (Witten), Etherington, Cook.