Mullets through to another semi-final

Action from Arundel's game at Selsey on Saturday.
Action from Arundel's game at Selsey on Saturday.

ARUNDEL Football Club reached their second cup semi-final of the season on Tuesday evening, with victory away to Lancing in the Sussex RUR Cup.

Mullets were already through to the last four of the Peter Bentley Cup and they will now face Eastbourne Town in the semi-finals of the RUR Cup on February 3.

Two goals in the opening 15 minutes were enough to take Arundel through, before they held on under increasing pressure in the second half.

Lancing’s Tyler Goatcher volleyed over early on, before Mullets went ahead with their first attack of the game in the ninth minute. Alex Biggs’ clipped through ball picked out Max Thoms, who took a touch and slotted in from ten yards.

The hosts’ Lewis Finney shot wide and Goatcher headed off target, before Arundel doubled their lead after 15 minutes.

Lancing failed to clear their lines and Barney Boutwood profited, as despite the attentions of three Lancing players, he fired home from close range.

Arundel were well in control and chances at either end were at a premium in the remainder of the half.

Lancers began the second period well and, after Mike Williamson and Dave Sharman were narrowly off target, they gave themselves hope of a comeback just after the hour mark. Good work from Finney down the left allowed him to cross for Craig Knowles, who only had to tap in to reduce the arrears and set up an intriguing last quarter.

Lancing pushed forward and Williamson lashed across goal, Finney’s well-struck volley was bravely blocked by a diving Mullets defender and Finney again went close with a rising drive.

With the clock ticking down, Williamson’s teasing cross only needed a touch to take it in but evaded everyone and, with that, Lancers’ hopes in the cup were extinguished.

Arundel manager Simon Butler said: “We were made to work for it, particularly in the second half.

“I thought we were excellent in the first half, then we sat back a little bit and they came at us. But we did a great job at containing them and I’m delighted that we have got to our second cup semi-final.”

ARUNDEL: McDonald; L.Da Costa, Bibb, Walker, N.Da Costa; Jenkins, O’Hagan, Thoms, A.Biggs; Boutwood, Tipper. Subs: Marsden (Boutwood 28), Clark (L.Da Costa 72), Peake (Walker 76), Hunter, Grove.