Mullets take derby honours at Wick

Josh Biggs netted in Arundel's win at rivals Wick & Barnham on Monday
Josh Biggs netted in Arundel's win at rivals Wick & Barnham on Monday

ARUNDEL Football Club ended 2015 on a high with a comprehensive victory away to local rivals Wick & Barnham United on Monday.

Dave Herbert, Luke Richards and Josh Biggs all netted to ensure Mullets took all three points in their final game of the year.

Their latest success completed what proved to be an impressive month for Arundel as they picked up four wins and a draw from the five games they played in December.

Mullets joint boss Barry Pidgeon was pleased to end the year with a derby success and said: “It was really pleasing to take all three points.

“I felt we were a little sloppy in the first 20 minutes but we improved as the game went on.

“To keep a clean sheet and score three goals in a derby game is always pleasing.

“We have ended this year on a high and, hopefully, we can take that form into 2016.

“December has been a great month for us with four wins and a draw from our five matches.”

The game started in a lively fashion and it was Wick who nearly went ahead on 13 minutes.

Kerry Hardwell chipped a ball in behind for Ben Gray but he blazed over with just James Fernandes to beat.

That miss proved costly as just a minute later Arundel took the lead.

Dave Herbert took a Fernandes kick in his path before beating two defenders and firing past Billy Nash to make it 1-0.

The game was an open affair and Rory Biggs should have doubled his side’s lead on 28 minutes.

Asa Nicholson’s perfectly-weighted pass allowed Biggs in behind but he scuffed his shot.

The Mullets continued to dominate in the second period and Lewis Jenkins almost made it 2-0 on 64 minutes.

He took the ball in his path before hitting a 20-yard strike towards goal but Nash got down well to save his effort.

Substitute Richards capitalised on a Nash miscue seven minutes later but his strike sailed just over.

Richards made up for that miss, though, when he was allowed too much room on the edge of the penalty area and his shot found the top corner with 16 minutes to play.

Another substitute, this time Josh Biggs, raced through on 85 minutes to make it 3-0 and ensure Arundel took all three points.

Arundel travel to Pagham on Saturday, while Wick return to action on January 9 at Worthing United.

WICK & BARNHAM: Nash; Dunlop, Playle-Howard, MacIver, Eyres; Groom, Pearce, D.Towers, Chick; Hardwell, Gray. Subs: Ebling (Groom), P.Frangou (Hardwell), Harper.

ARUNDEL: Fernandes; Jenkins, Peake, O’Hagan, Hunter; Nicholson, Hooker-Meehan, Jones, N.DaCosta; R.Biggs, Herbert. Subs: J.Biggs (Herbert), Richards (Hooker-Meehan), L.DaCosta (N.DaCosta), Tipper, Adams.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @LhamptonGazette

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Littlehampton Gazette - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.