Mullets snatch dramatic late win against Heath

Arundel's Ryan Peake  heads clear during Saturday's match.
Arundel's Ryan Peake heads clear during Saturday's match.

ARUNDEL Football Club struck twice in the final five minutes to win at home to Broadbridge Heath in County League Division 1 on Saturday.

Mullets fell behind on 53 minutes when Ollie Moore struck but late goals from Ricky Gardner and a Jordan Clark free kick ensured all three points for the home side.

Arundel boss Simon Butler was delighted with his side’s dramatic late victory and said: “I thought we were the better footballing side throughout and the only time we switched off in the game we were punished as they scored.

“But once we fell behind we began to play how I know we can and probably the way the lads should have started the game.

“I’m made up for Ricky as that is his first goal since joining the club, so that is really pleasing and then Jordan showed a bit of class with his free kick to give us all three points.

“I was a little worried going into the final ten minutes a goal down but our character and class showed to fight back.

“That’s three wins on the bounce now, which I am delighted about and it just shows what a good side we have here.

“I was without Barney Boutwood and Scott Tipper who are my two main strikers but Luke Richards and Ricky Gardner came in for them and were fantastic and really led from the front.

“It’s just a case of trying to extend this run now and seeing where it takes us come the end of the year.”

The visitors should have gone ahead on 21 minutes when a Mark Bevan corner found Andy Howard unmarked five yards from goal, but his effort was somehow clawed out by Mullets keeper James Fernandes.

It was Arundel who went close to opening the scoring eight minutes later when Liam Da Costa’s corner was met by Niall O’Hagan but his header went into the side netting.

Heath made a bright start to the second half and went in front when Moore crashed a right-foot shot past Fernandes from just inside the 18-yard box.

The visitors should have doubled their advantage 15 minutes from time but Kieran Grieg’s header went just wide.

Arundel responded well and got a leveller five minutes from time when Gardner was quickest to react to a loose ball to fire home.

Substitute Clark then secured all three points for his side with a thunderous free kick from 20 yards.

ARUNDEL: Fernandes; Bibb, O’Hagan, Peake; L.Da Costa, N.Da Costa, A.Biggs, Thoms, Jenkins; Richards, Gardner. Subs: Clark (Richards), Wilson (Biggs), McDonald, Grove, Hunter.

n Mullets travel to Newhaven in the league on Saturday.