Littlehampton make it three straight wins

Liam Humphreys
Liam Humphreys

LITTLEHAMPTON Town Football Club recorded their third straight league win with victory at Worthing United on Tuesday.

The clash brought together last year’s Premier Division and Division 1 winners.

But despite the billing it was far from a classic with strikes from Liam Humphreys and George Gaskin giving Littlehampton all three points.

Not that Golds player-boss Gaskin will mind as he saw his side follow up home wins over Pagham and AFC Uckfield with an away success at United.

Gaskin was pleased to get yet another league win and said: “It was not a great game but we’ve played well and lost this season so the points and a clean sheet are the most important things at the moment.

“I felt we controlled the game and soaked up any pressure they created.

“After the start to the season we’ve now had three wins in a row which is a big positive.”

Humphreys could well have put Littlehampton ahead after just three minutes.

He caught United defender Ben Hall in possession but saw his curling effort tipped wide by James Shaw.

Humphreys was celebrating soon after, though, following a fine 40-yard strike four minutes later.

Sloppy play at the back saw United caught out.

This time Humphreys took his chance after delivering a fine 40-yard chip over Shaw.

United’s best hope of a leveller look to come from Pat Rose who saw two shots flash just wide.

The Mavericks could well have been back on terms three minutes before the break.

Golds stopper Jon Hendrick slipped after clearing a corner but Julian Curnow failed to get enough power on his goal bound header.

Poor play at the back was costing United and they nearly found themselves two down before the break.

Dan Taylor’s misplaced pass found Humphreys but he failed to find the net when one-on-one with Shaw.

The second half continued where the first left off with United unable to find a telling final ball.

Their best chances came from wide when both Lee Eastman and Justin Pawsey whipped in crosses but both flashed just wide.

Golds secured all three points with ten minutes left to play.

Gaskin came off the bench to volley past Shaw.

The strike caused a little controversy after the referee waved away the linesman’s offside flag and the goal stood.

LITTLEHAMPTON: Hendrick; Wiggans, Bates, D.Hand, Janman; McKenley-Burke, Humphries, Beadle, Packer; Charles; Landais. Subs: Bell (Charles), Ball (Landais), McKenley-Burke (Gaskin), Osbourne, Askew.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @LhamptonGazette

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Littlehampton Gazette - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.