Confidence flowing as Arundel win again

Harry Russell scored a hat-trick at AFC Uckfield
Harry Russell scored a hat-trick at AFC Uckfield

Harry Russell struck a hat-trick as Arundel recorded a second successive Southern Combination League Premier Division win, 5-3 at AFC Uckfield on Saturday.

After a 3-2 win at Newhaven in midweek, Mullets were again in impressive form although made life harder for themselves than joint bosses Craig Stuart and Barry Pidgeon would have liked.

Having fallen behind early on, Mullets had moved 4-1 ahead by the 65th minute.

AFC Uckfield were then reduced to ten men but they scored twice in the space of two minutes to make the score 4-3 with 17 minutes to play.

However, Russell completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot in the closing stages to seal all three points.

Stuart said: “We played well again and our confidence is up as we’re scoring goals and winning games.

“We were 4-1 up and cruising but then pressed the self destruct button for five minutes and let them back in it.

“However, we scored some good goals and if we’d scored ten, it wouldn’t have been unjust.”

AFC Uckfield took the lead through Ryan Cooper on 16 minutes but Mullets levelled just five minutes later. Steve Herbert bent a free kick into the top corner from 20 yards for his first goal of the season.

Arundel took the lead seven minutes later when they worked the ball forward from defence and Dion Jarvis then crossed for Russell to slot home.

Rory Biggs smashed home the third from eight yards on 43 minutes to give Mullets a 3-1 half-time lead.

AFC Uckfield pressed for a way back into the game in the second half but Arundel added a fourth on 65 minutes. Russell raced on to Herbert’s excellent pass and coolly slotted home.

The hosts then had Andrew Dalhouse sent off for two bookings but quickly got two goals back through Dominic Clarke and Connor French.

Arundel had several chances throughout the match to make the win more comfortable as Jarvis hit the post, Russell struck the bar and Biggs twice went close, before they made the points safe in the final minute.

Herbert was brought down in the penalty area and Russell stepped up to score his tenth goal of the sesaon from the spot.

Mullets are hoping for good news when they learn the extent of captain Ryan Peake’s knee injury this week, after he went off injured in the win at Newhaven last week.

Arundel entertain Lancing in the league on Saturday, before they travel to Ryman League Premier Division side Worthing in the second round of the Sussex Senior Cup on Tuesday.

ARUNDEL: McDonald; Jenkins, Hunter, A.Biggs, Dudas, Jarvis, N.Da Costa, Nicholson, Herbert, R.Biggs, Russell. Subs: Rennie (Nicholson 60), Adams (R.Biggs 65), Thorpe, Fernandes

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!