FOOTBALL: New boss Block needs to rebuild at Wick
GARY BLOCK was appointed the new manager at Wick Football Club last week and has been left with the task of building a side to keep them in Division 1 this season.
Block, who led Selsey to a mid-table finish in County League Division 1 last season, started the season at his old club but left early into pre-season preparations. He now takes up the reigns at Crabtree Park after what has been a difficult start to the season for Wick in the wake of Italian Carmelo D'Anzi leaving without taking charge of a competitive game.
The ex-Selsey and Pagham boss will take charge tonight (Tuesday) for their derby clash with local rivals Arundel, with three new sigings and six emergency loan players from West Sussex League Premier side Newtown Villa.
Block was involved on Saturday, against a Cobham side he used to manage, and was desperate to get a number of players in for tonight in fear of a capable Mullets side causing a lot of damage.
He said: "It will be a hard couple of months for us, there are some good younsters here but we need a complete rebuild job. We need to get players to keep us in the division, which is what I've been asked to do, and we should be able to do no problem, but the current squad here won't do that.
"I have had a lot of interest in coming to the club, I've already signed Richard Brown, Doug Peach and Lewis Haga-Hammond, got six guys in from Newtown Villa and a number of seven dayers in.
"The future will be alright, at Selsey it was quite hard to get players, but we're pretty central here and have a good catchment area. There isn't loads of money but we can affoard offer a bit of petrol money and a little win bonus here and there.
"There are hard fixtures in the next six weeks against teams that will be up there and competing so it's going to be tough."
With D'Anzi walking out on the eve of the new season, Wick had John Sharman, Rick Jarvis and Sean Gibbs in caretaker charge for their first three games, which saw a loss and a draw in the league, as well as an FA Cup defeat at Cobham on Saturday.
Wick chairman Keith Croft is delighted with the new appointment and is hoping Block can get them back on track.
He said: "Gary is a fantastic coup for the club. To have a manager of his pedigree and stature on board is fantastic.
"My aims are still the same for the season, we need to stabilise and steady the ship in this division after what has been three months of hell.
"When Carmelo said he couldn't continue as his job needed him to move to Spain, it left me in a real predicament. I knew Gary had left Selsey so I gave him a call, he came over had a look and called me back saying he'd love the job.
"He will bring a bit of stability back and although it may take a bit of time, it will be fantastic for the club.
"We can now get back to the football that we are used to here, and I know Gary will be, and has been, talking to a number of players. I am very glad to welcome him aboard at Wick Football Club."
More in Thursday's Littlehampton Gazette.
Click here to go back to Worthing sport.
Click here to return to Gazette sport.
Click here to go back to Shoreham sport.
Where are you? Add your pin to the Herald's international readers' map by clicking here.
Email the Herald: [email protected]