County League football round-up

LITTLEHAMPTON debutant Howard Neighbour hit an opening-day hat-trick in his side's excellent 5-1 win at Peacehaven.

Saturday, 11th August 2007, 8:06 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 12:58 am

Neighbour, signed from West Sussex League side South Bersted, opened the scoring from Ryan Hudson's cross on 28 minutes. He netted his second to make it 4-0 on 67 minutes before completing his treble in the last minute from substitute Stuart Sell's cross.

Hudson and Jay Huet were also on target as Littlehampton led 2-0 at half-time and were four ahead when Wayne Bashford netted a consolation for Peacehaven.

Tom Bird also saw an effort hit Peacehaven's bar and Neighbour and Huet also went close to further goals.

Golds manager Trevor Waller said: "Before the game, we would have been happy with a draw or a 1-0 win at the team who finished fourth last season so we've got to be very happy with the result."

LITTLEHAMPTON: Everett; Swain, Smith, Hodder, Hazel, Bird; Clayton, Hudson, Brown; Neighbour, Huet. Subs: Thompson (Hudson 65), Sell (Brown 70), Farrell (Huet 85), Fuller.

SCOTT MURFIN was also in the goals on his Wick debut. He struck a brace and fellow former Chichester player Steve Boston was also on target in Wick's 3-2 win at Hailsham.

Wick were 3-0 ahead with 10 minutes to play but a cross deflected off Gary Young into his own goal and Steve Monk netted in the second minute of injury-time. Five more minutes of stoppage-time followed but Hailsham did not threaten an equaliser.

New Wick joint-manager Mick Catlin, who joined the club from Chichester in the summer, said: "We could have buried them as we missed a hatful of chances and then gave away two sloppy goals towards the end.

"Scott Murfin was the best player on the pitch by a mile. He did well with Steve Boston up front and Julian Curnow and Neil Murfin also had good games."

Wick signed Curnow, who was at the club for a short while last season, on Friday from Cray Wanderers.

WICK: Phillips; Turner, Young, Curnow, Buckland; Manton, Elias, N.Murfin, Green; Boston, S.Murfin. Subs: Shepherd (Boston 60), Torode, Turvey (Green, Manton 70), Sharman, McCallum.

EAST PRESTON manager Chris White was disappointed with his side after they crashed to a 3-0 defeat at home to last season's runners-up Whitehawk.

White said: "We were shocking and never got going against a very well-organised side.

"We didn't work hard enough to get ourselves into the game, gave away three poor goals and we got what we deserved."

Tommy Pattenden, left unmarked at the back post, headed Hawks into the lead on 19 minutes. Matt Allen made it 2-0 on 27 minutes before scoring again midway through the second half.

Kevin Budge volleyed wide from eight yards EP's best chance at 2-0 just before half-time.

Keeper Tom Rand has re-joined EP from Horsham YMCA.

EAST PRESTON: Rand; S.White, Head, Metcalf, Virgo; Cooper, Keet, Williams, Banks; Rhodes, Budge. Subs: Brown (White 45), Walton (Budge 60), Levitt (Cooper 63), Bentley, Hotston.

RUSTINGTON lost their first game in senior football 4-3 but only in the last minute at East Grinstead in Division 2.

Ross Adams gave Blues a 13th-minute lead but they trailed 3-1 at half-time. Sean Duffy made it 3-2 on 63 minutes and debutant Lee Gibbs levelled with 10 minutes left.

Chris Couzens then had a 25-yarder saved before Grinstead got their winner in the final minute.

Rustington boss Gareth Davies said: "I thought we deserved something out of the game. In the second half, we were the better side.

"However, defensively I think we need to improve and we saw that mistakes at this level are punished.

"We can take positives, though, and with the players we have to come into the squad, I'm confident we will improve as the season progresses."

RUSTINGTON: McCarthy; Duffy, Tomlinson, Bibb, Hellen; Bashford, Gibbs, Morten, Withers; Smart, Adams. Subs: Butcher (Tomlinson 45), Nally (Adams 72), Couzens (Withers 81), Cox.

ARUNDEL lost an evenly-contested game 2-0 at home to Hassocks.

Hassocks keeper Joel Harding denied Matt Huckett in just the third minute before Phil Gault and Sam Fisk both missed excellent chances to give the away side the lead.

Huckett was again thwarted by Harding twice more as the first half came to a close.

Phil Gault capitalised on a defensive mix-up to give Hassocks the lead on 50 minutes. Huckett and Andy Boxall both had equalising efforts saved by Harding before Hassocks broke away for Anthony Hibbert to seal the win in stoppage time.

ARUNDEL: O'Connor; Duncan, L.Walker, Wimbleton, Hall; S.Towers, D.Towers, Mike Huckett, Hibberd; Matt Huckett, D.Walker. Subs: Grove (S.Towers 45), Boxall (D.Walker 65), Tipper (D.Towers 70), Sutcliffe, Huggett.