Five minutes before the opening night there was Donner and Blitzen for real outside the Windmill Theatre – spooky or what? (and I don’t mean the reindeer!)
Littlehampton Musical Comedy Society (LMCS) gave a stupendous performance of Lionel Bart’s comparatively little-known musical, Blitz, with great acting, singing, playing and dancing from the entire company, in front of a capacity enthusiastic audience, largely unaware of the stormy weather outside.
There was much wartime drama, special effects and bitter-sweet nostalgia in evidence, with plenty of Cockney humour thrown in for good measure.
Comparisons with Oliver! were inevitable, with the children playing a significant part and the Fagin character, Mrs Blitztein, played with aplomb by matriarch Julie Waite.
Thanks were due to director and choreographer Carolyn Bennett and her team, and to musical director Daniel Paine and his band.
We were also treated to a recording of the Forces’ Sweetheart, Dame Vera Lynn, singing The Day After Tomorrow, accompanied by gentle humming from LMCS.
Dame Vera herself had sent a special signed message to the cast, wishing them every success both this week and for the future of the Windmill.
Shows as heartwarming and professional as this are the life-blood of this theatre and one hopes that the Windmill will indeed continue to flourish as it deserves.
Old Mead Road
• Want to share your views? Send your letters by email or post them to Letters, Littlehampton Gazette, Cannon House, Chatsworth Road, Worthing, BN11 1NA. Remember to include your full name and address.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LittlehamptonGazette
3) Follow us on Twitter @LhamptonGazette
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
The Littlehampton Gazette – always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.