As aerial photographs of the Littlehampton swimming pool site illustrate, it is a juicy site to develop.
Packing it full of apartments equals big financial rewards for some.
Being so close to the sewage plant, though, it is not the only whiff one can smell.
It makes one ask the question, why does the council need to prepare a PR strategy at all (at great cost to the local populous) given the fact that 70 per cent of the very same people voted to keep the existing site in the first place.
Baring that in mind, perhaps it is the reason why the council are having to use the London-based marketing company Bell Pottinger, highly adept incidentally in removing negative facts and turning them into a positive spin.
It certainly says a lot about their campaign strategy over the issue.
Hopefully, as this story truly unfolds, we will find out (maybe even from one of those pesky Freedom of Information requests!) how a pretty exemplary company like Inspire, after running the swimming pool complex for years, has suddenly not even got the right to enter the next tendering process.
Finally, Arun District Council need a timely reminder that a good chunk of the original cost of the pool was contributed by local donations, making it ‘our pool’ as much as ‘theirs’.
Council transparency and accountability need to come to the fore, benefiting the people they serve, otherwise that very same ‘whiff’ will pervade permanently over Arun District Council’s head.
• Want to share your views? Send your letters by email or post them to Letters, Littlehampton Gazette, Cannon House, Chatsworth Road, Worthing, BN11 1NA. Remember to include your full name and address.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LittlehamptonGazette
3) Follow us on Twitter @LhamptonGazette
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
The Littlehampton Gazette – always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.