A TEENAGE boy who was mugged by a disabled man with one leg has been left too scared to leave his bedroom since the attack.
The 15-year-old, who has spoken exclusively to the Gazette, has told of how he was knocked off his bike by a man in a mobility scooter and then surrounded by a number of people, including a dog.
The incident took place along the dog walk behind Greenfields, in Wick, on Monday, July 20.
The youngster, whose identity is being withheld by the Gazette, said: “Since the attack I have always been in my room.
“I’m scared that they will be there when I go out. It’s just totally changed me.”
The youngster had been riding down the dog path, at about 5pm, on his way to pick up a family meal from the Wick Fryer, in Wick Street, and pay for the gas and electric.
However, as he came towards the end of the pathway, close to the Morrisons pedestrian crossing, he was surrounded by a group of people.
This included a 6ft tall man with a Staffordshire bull terrier, a woman with red hair and a man in the mobility scooter.
“Someone kicked my front wheel away and I went flying off my bike,” the boy said.
“I thought, ‘what’s happening? I’m scared’.
“When they took the money I thought that mum would shout at me.”
The teenager only had £30 on him, which he kept in the pocket of his hooded jacket.
When he fell, the money scattered out. He managed to collect a £20 note but the £10 note was taken.
The child’s mum said she was appalled at the assault.
“When he came home he was really shaken and upset – he was shaking,” she recounted. “He said to me, ‘mum, you’re going to tell me off’. I said ‘What’s happened?’. He then said, ‘I have been mugged, they kicked me off my bike, mum’.
“I was like, ‘Oh my God, how could they do this to a boy?’. I was seething with rage.”
Police have since launched an appeal for witnesses to come forward.
Anyone who saw what happened or who may have other information is asked to email email@example.com or phone 101, quoting serial 121 of 20/7.
Alternatively they can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, without having to leave their name, on 0800 555 111.
A 40-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of theft and bailed until August 26 while enquiries continue.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LittlehamptonGazette
3) Follow us on Twitter @LhamptonGazette
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Littlehampton Gazette - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.