As Chichester astronaut Tim Peake prepares for his historic space mission tomorrow (Tuesday December 15) we provide a quick list of biographical details about the man.
Timothy Nigel Peake
- Born 7 April 1972 in Chichester, West Sussex
- Married with two sons
- Interests include skiing, scuba diving, cross-country running, climbing, and mountaineering, plus quantum physics and aviation
- Is a former British Army Air Corps officer
- Began European Space Agency’s intensive astronaut basic training course in September 2009 and graduated on 22 November 2010
- Studied at Chichester High School for Boys, West Sussex, leaving in 1990 to attend the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
- Received a Bachelor of Science degree in flight dynamics and evaluation from the University of Portsmouth in 2006
- Beat more than 8,000 other applicants for one of the six places on the ESA’s new astronaut training programme
- Set to become the first Briton to fly into space without a private contract (Helen Sharman) or American citizenship (Michael Foale, Piers Sellers and Nicholas Patrick).
- During Expedition 44 Tim Peake served as a back-up astronaut for Soyuz TMA-17M spaceflight.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.