Volunteering is not only beneficial to the local community; the personal benefits can be huge too.
You might want to gain new skills or enjoy new experiences, you might be looking for work experience or something to bolster your CV, or you might want to meet new friends or build your self-esteem; you might simply want to help those less fortunate than yourself.
Whatever your reasons, volunteering has been shown to have a huge impact on people’s health and well-being; leaving them healthier and happier.
Have a look at some of the opportunities that are currently available to see how you can get involved.
Carers Support West Sussex helps carers from all communities across the county by providing practical information and emotional support. They are looking for volunteers to help provide a confidential telephone support for carers on a monthly basis, for carers to off-load their thoughts and feelings.
Littlehampton and Worthing’s talking newspaper for the blind and partially-sighted, produced by The Voice of Progress, require a volunteer who could give a little of their time in the role of editor. These recordings are produced every fortnight so it would require four to six hours of editing every eight weeks. Full training would be given.
Angmering Community Centre Association provides IT training for beginners at present and would now like to offer a chance for those who have completed some training to continue using what they have learned in a club atmosphere.
Littlehampton Social Club for the Blind & Partially Sighted (Affiliated to 4 Sight) aims to bring blind and partially-sighted people together for a social afternoon. General helpers and car drivers are needed to collect one or two members and bring them to club and return them home. You will need a clean driving licence and access to your own vehicle (mileage allowance is paid).
• For more information on any of the above roles, please call Volunteer Now! on 01243 864220, or visit www.do-it.org. For bite-sized volunteering of ten days or less please visit http://skillshare-westsussex.org.uk/
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LittlehamptonGazette
3) Follow us on Twitter @LhamptonGazette
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Littlehampton Gazette - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.