A woman suffered burns to her hand in a kitchen fire in Rustington on Tuesday.
Littlehampton firefighters were called to the incident at the home in The Street at 1.40pm, but the fire was out on arrival, a fire service spokesperson said.
Paramedics from South East Coast Ambulance Service also attended, the spokesperson added.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue is raising awareness of cooking safety this month, as kitchen fires account for 63 percent of fires in the county.
Tips include not moving a pan that is on fire and not leaning over a pan to turn off heat controls.
Nicki Peddle, WSFRS intervention and prevention manager, said: “Fires start when your attention stops so if you have something on the hob don’t leave it unattended, even for a minute.
“The majority of kitchen fires our crews are called to are avoidable and we offer all sorts of advice to help keep our residents safe.
“Accidents will always happen so it’s vital that every home has working smoke alarms and an agreed escape route planned.”
For kitchen safety tips visit: www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire-emergencies-and-crime/west-sussex-fire-rescue-service/home-safety-advice/kitchen-safety/
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.