FIREFIGHTERS were called to tackle a chimney blaze in Rustington last night (Friday, March 20).
The incident took place at a home in Sea Lane, at 8.18pm.
One crew from Littlehampton rushed to extinguish the fire before it spread throughout the property.
The team used a range of equipment to dislodge the flaming material from inside the chimney and put out the blaze.
No-one was injured during the emergency and the property suffered no further damage, a fire service spokesman said.
The spokesman added: “There wasn’t any thatched roofing which was a blessing otherwise it could have been worse.”
Firefighters left the scene little more than an hour later, at 9.20pm.
The incident came after a warning by the fire service in January to residents following a spate of chimney fires.
The service offered top tips on how to reduce the risk, with advice including:
. Have your chimney swept at least once a year, twice a year if burning wood;
. When burning wood, use dry, seasoned woods from reputable suppliers;
. If you have a wood burner, always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on fuel loading and air flow;
. Never use petrol or paraffin to light your fire;
. Do not overload the grate or appliance;
. Use a fire or spark guard to prevent accidental fires;
. Ensure the fire is fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house;
. Install a smoke alarm on each level of your property and test them regularly;
To find a local chimney sweep, contact the National Association of Chimney Sweeps on 0800 833464 or click here.