BREAKING NEWS: Police offer £10k reward after fatal Littlehampton arson

Terry Davies pictured with his girlfriend Kerry Stark, left
Terry Davies pictured with his girlfriend Kerry Stark, left

DETECTIVES are offering a £10,000 reward in connection with a fatal arson in Littlehampton which killed Terry Davies, last year.

On Thursday, September 12, 2013, the fire service and police were called to a fire in a property on South Terrace shortly before 1am.

Tragically Mr Davies, 24, who lived at the property, which was divided into flats, was killed during the inferno.

He lived in a flat at the back of the property and post-mortem examination into his death showed he died from smoke inhalation.

Today (Monday, December 15) police and Terry’s heartbroken mother, Mitzi Price, have renewed their appeal for help in tracking his killer.

An emotional Mitzi, of Sheep Fold Avenue, Rustington, said: “Even if anyone has the smallest piece of information, just a little snippet, all of it can add up and if anyone can think of anything from that night it could help.”

The fire was originally believed to have been started by an electrical fault.

However, on further investigation by the fire service, it was established white spirit had been used to spark the blaze just inside the front door.

Detective Chief Inspector Mike Ashcroft said: “We are offering up to £10,000 to anyone who gives up information which leads to the arrest and conviction of someone in connection with the arson which lead to the death of Terry.

“This young man lost his life that night because someone started that fire in the property, a fire which could have cost the lives of the other occupants who had to be rescued by firefighters.

“We need to find who was responsible. We are appealing to anyone who may hold any information, however small, which will help us with our enquiries and bring justice to Terry’s family.”

Police launched a murder investigation into Mr Davies’ death, in December, last year.

Mr Davies, a former pupil at the Georgian Gardens Primary School, in Rustington, and at the Palatine School in Worthing, worked as a cashier at the new Morrisons supermarket, in Wick.

He had lived in the one-bedroom flat on the seafront for 16 months. It was his first time living away from home.

In a previous statement, released at about this time last year, his mother said: “I was just in shock when officers came to tell me he had died, it was just a normal working day for us and all I kept thinking was ‘he’s 24, he can’t die’.

“Then I remember feeling completely numb and I still am.

“You function and do things but really a part of me has died.

“He has left a huge hole in our lives.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101 or email quoting Operation Annexe or alternatively contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.