Sergeant Arthur Douglas Crook, 1st Battalion, The Prince Consort’s Own Rifle Brigade
Arthur Crook was born in Brighton in 1889, the son of Herbert and Martha Crook.
He served with the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment, joining the Rifle Brigade as a regular soldier on March 7, 1907.
He signed on for seven years, to be followed by five years as a part-time reservist.
So, on March 7, 1914, he would have reverted to civilian life, before being recalled for service on the outbreak of war.
By 1911, his parents and siblings had moved to Small Dole, the census showing that his father was a blacksmith and his brother a “blacksmith’s striker”.
The blacksmith’s forge was on the west side of Small Dole Street, near the carpentry workshop of Cornelius Scarrott.
Arthur died from a gunshot wound to the head on April 28, 1915, and was buried in Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery, Belgium.
He was awarded the 1914 Star and clasp, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.
He is commemorated on Small Dole and Upper Beeding war memorials.