FIRE investigators have announced that a blaze, which killed one man and left four other people needing hospital treatment, sparked accidentally.
Emergency services rushed to a set of flats in South Terrace, shortly after 12.44am this morning (Thursday, September 12).
Firefighters from Littlehampton, East Preston, Arundel, Worthing and Bognor Regis, as well as a support unit from the Red Cross, attended the incident.
The fire is believed to have ignited in the ground floor hallway of the three-storey building.
The staircase of the property was also heavily smoke-logged, which trapped some residents in the upper floors.
Four people were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation but have now been released.
Fire crews rescued one woman from the roof using an aerial ladder platform and another from the first floor.
The dead man – who has not yet been formally identified – was found in a flat at the rear of the building.