A criminal investigation has begun over the suspect package on Brighton seafront after police said they believe it was left there deliberately to disrupt the Pride parade.
The item was discovered on Marine Drive by the bandstand at 11.10am yesterday (Saturday, August 1), just as the Brighton Pride parade was due to start.
The procession had to be re-routed and the start was delayed by an hour and a half.
An army bomb squad carried out a controlled explosion and after investigations police are treating the incident as a bomb hoax.
Chief superintendent Nev Kemp said: “We believe the item was placed there deliberately and made to look like a suspicious device to disrupt the parade.
“We have started a criminal investigation.
“We were concerned enough to call in the bomb disposal unit, who after making a further assessment, carried out a controlled explosion.
“The area had been cordoned off and there was no risk to the public.”
Thousands of people turned out for the major event and chief supt. Kemp added: “We want to apologise for any disruption this caused and thank the public and those taking part in the parade for their support and patience while we made the area safe and re-routed the parade.
“Their co-operation made dealing with this difficult incident easier.
“Despite the delay, we hope everyone will enjoy the Pride events across the city.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.