FIREFIGHTERS are urging homeowners to not leave their tumble dryers unattended after a blaze at a pub in Arundel last night (Tuesday, April 22).
The incident took place inside The Swan pub, in High Street, at 5.50pm where a tumble dryer in the pub’s laundry room had ignited.
Flames were seen coming out of the room’s door.
Three fire crews – two from Littlehampton and one from Arundel – were called to deal with the blaze.
They used four breathing apparatuses, two high-pressure hoses, a thermal imaging camera, water jet to quell the flames and equipment to clear the smoke.
Littlehampton crew manager Dean Puttock, who attended the incident, warned: “Tumble dryer fires are quite common but can cause a lot of damage.
“You should never leave it unattended. Don’t switch them on when you go to bed or head out.”