FURTHER delays have hit Littlehampton’s beleaguered Stage by the Sea – but the attraction will be completed.
The project had been under a constant bombardment of lashing rain and inclement weather which had hampered the efforts of contractors Cavendish Consultancy – a firm which has now gone into liquidation.
Littlehampton Town Council, which had been behind the scheme to introduce the new performance area, at the top end of Banjo Road, had been left in an uncertain position as to whether or not the scheme would be completed. Littlehampton Beach Ward councillor Dr James Walsh, who has been on the Stage by the Sea working group since the idea was formed, said: “The news was a bitter disappointment to the town council initially but we believe we have found a way through it which will ensure we have an end result we can all be proud of.”
Following the plight of the project, the scheme’s sub-contractor, Shotcrete – which has been building the stage for the past few months – is prepared to complete the work in spite of financial losses to the business.
A spokeswoman for the town council said the authority was grateful to Shotcrete for its pledge of support.
She explained that the decision had been made because the company felt proud of its work and wished to ensure that Littlehampton had a finished facility the townspeople could enjoy.
Providing there is some respite from the bad weather, the contractors hope to be back on site shortly and to complete the structure by mid-March.
Landscapers will then be on site to finish off the project.
Littlehampton Mayor Joyce Bowyer said: “I feel passionate about this project and, although we have had to manage a number of difficulties, I am determined we will celebrate its opening within my mayoral year and we look forward to the local community sharing this celebration with us.”
In light of the delays, the initial launch date of April 6 is now being rearranged.