DCSIMG

Littlehampton family’s horror after second pet is poisoned

Mother Tanya Logan, right, pictured with her daughter Christine, 18. The family were devastated when they had to put their second cat down after it ingested the deadly toxin antifreeze SUS-140625-082439001

Mother Tanya Logan, right, pictured with her daughter Christine, 18. The family were devastated when they had to put their second cat down after it ingested the deadly toxin antifreeze SUS-140625-082439001

FEARS have been raised about a suspected serial cat killer after several pets in Littlehampton were poisoned with antifreeze.

Since October, a total of eight beloved felines have died slow, agonising deaths after ingesting the liquid – which some locals suspect could have been soaked over chicken bones.

Monday (June 23) saw the latest pet being put down after it was poisoned, leaving its caring owner, Tanya Logan, distraught.

Mrs Logan, of Talbot Road, was forced to put down her first pet cat, Thomas, in January.

But on Monday, the horrified mother-of-two was rocked when her second pet, nine-year-old Lily, died in the same way.

“It’s been so devastating for everyone, my two children especially,” said the 39-year-old. “In less than six months we’ve lost both our pets.

“I wish we had never moved here.”

Mrs Logan said that her children discovered Lily in the garden acting strangely.

They rushed the cat to the Fitzalan House Veterinary Surgery, in Fitzalan Road.

She said Lily started having fits when she got there and was in ‘terrible pain’.

“It was horrible to watch,” she said.

The cat suffered major kidney failure as a result of ingesting the deadly toxin.

All the pets who have been poisoned by the substance were from either Talbot Road, East Ham Road or Gloucester Road, in Littlehampton.

Mrs Logan does not know if the deaths were deliberate. However, she has heard rumours chicken bones were being covered in antifreeze.

“If this is true, then it is absolutely sick. They don’t see how the cats suffer afterwards.”

The incident has been reported to police.

Marie Davey, head nurse at Fitzalan, said there was no conclusive proof there was a serial cat killer on the loose but said the sheer volume of deaths in such a small area was suspicious.

“I really hope it is an accident,” she said. “I can’t understand who would want to do this to an animal. It’s such a cruel way to die.”

She is now reminding residents to check and make sure they do not have a leaking or open bottle of antifreeze in either their sheds or garages which cats could be drinking.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page