DCSIMG

Family left picking up the pieces as fire destroys home

Waiting for Video...
 

THE man living in this home admitted he could have been minutes away from death if it had not been for the quick-thinking actions of two security guards.

Jack Symons was cleaning inside his parents’ thatched cottage, in Tamarisk Way, East Preston, when there was a power cut on Sunday evening (January 19).

Unbeknown to Jack, a fire was raging on his home’s thatched rooftop.

It was only when keen-eyed security guards Sean Wilson, 27, and Peter Stringer, 48, of Worthing-based Assured Security Guarding Ltd, who had been on a routine patrol of the area, banged on his front door, that Jack realised about the impending danger and evacuated.

Minutes later, the £1.3m house was in flames, with firefighters from across the county battling to extinguish the inferno.

Speaking exclusively to the Gazette, Jack, 26, said: “I’m so thankful for the guards’ warning. I’m not saying I could have died, necessarily, but the possibility was there.

“I had no idea the house was on fire. No smoke alarms went off. I did not know.”

For Jack’s dramatic full story, see tomorrow’s Littlehampton Gazette (Thursday, January 23).

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page