DCSIMG

Concern mounts after spate of kitchen fires

FIREFIGHTERS are urging residents to take extra care when cooking after attending a dozen kitchen fires over the bank holiday weekend.

Between Saturday (August 23) morning and Monday (August 25) night crews were called to 12 separate kitchen fires across the county. Most started as a result of cooking being left unattended.

Adrian Carter, deputy safer communities manager for the fire service, said: “We work very hard as a service to promote kitchen fire safety to the local community so attending this many in such a short space of time is a real concern. Thankfully, the fires were brought under control very quickly by our crews and haven’t led to serious injury. However, the consequences could have been far more serious and many of them could easily have been avoided.”

The service offers home fire safety checks. To see if you’re eligible call 0800 328 6487 or see www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page