Littlehampton residents warned of candle fire dangers

Firefighters are warning people to be careful when using candles following a blaze in the area this week. Pictured is crew manager Amanda Mays

Firefighters are warning people to be careful when using candles following a blaze in the area this week. Pictured is crew manager Amanda Mays

0
Have your say

RESIDENTS in the Littlehampton area are being urged to take care when using candles this week.

The warning from the county’s fire service came after a fire yesterday (Tuesday, March 17) after a disabled woman had to be rescued from her flat in Worthing.

The wheelchair user accidentally knocked over a lit scented candle from her bedside table and set light to the bedroom floor.

Although the woman managed to raise the alarm herself, the fire service was also alerted by a specialist Firelink smoke detector. This meant that an operator at a 24-hour monitoring centre was automatically alerted to the fire and also placed a call to the fire service.

Worthing watch manager Steve Crockett said: “It’s easy to be complacent about the danger of candles because they are such a common sight in people’s homes.

“However, wherever there is a naked flame, there is always a fire risk.

“We’d always urge people to keep candles well away from anything flammable like bedding or clothing and to make sure they are kept in suitable, sturdy holders on a stable surface.”

Other tips includes never leaving a burning candle unattended, keeping them away from children and pets, always keeping them upright on a stable surface away from draughts and to make sure homes have smoke alarms on each level.

For more advice, see the fire service’s website at www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire