Heater and garden areas catch light


FIRES in an electrical heater and a large area of compost were among the incidents firefighters were called to this week in the Gazette area.

On Monday, at around 11am, fire crews were called to a care home in Courtwick Lane, Wick, when an electrical heater caught light.

Firefighters removed the heater, which had caught light accidentally, and then gave advice to the care home’s occupants on how to use the heaters safely.

Later that day, the fire service was called to a home in Rustington when an area of compost and garden waste caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the rear of a house in Pigeon Lane at around 6.30pm.

Using two hose reels and a water tender ladder from Littlehampton fire station, firefighters put out the fire, which had started accidentally.