A WARNING has gone out over faulty electric blankets after scores were found to be unsafe during a recent check by the fire service.
On Friday (January 9), the service revealed that out of the 412 electric blankets tested in the latest batch of free safety tests, more than 40 per cent were found to be potentially dangerous.
Almost half of all the blankets tested in Littlehampton and Yapton failed to meet safety standards.
Speaking after the results, Jackie Boyle, community fire safety officer, said: “The results really highlight the value of this free service.
“If any of those faulty blankets had caught fire there could have been potentially devastating consequences for their owners. Nationally, there are around 1,000 fires caused by unsafe electric blankets each year and, sadly, some people have lost their lives.”
Blankets more than ten years old are of particular concerns as they do not have the same overheat protection as more modern devices, Jackie added.
Further free safety tests will be planned later on this year for people to attend.