Crews save ‘shaken’ and ‘scared’ cat from Rustington fire

Firefighters battling the blaze in Rustington    PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell SUS-141125-171637001
Firefighters battling the blaze in Rustington PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell SUS-141125-171637001
0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a frightened cat from an a blaze in Rustington on Saturday morning (November 22).

Two crews from Littlehampton and one from East Preston, along with a Red Cross support team, were called to property in Woodlands Avenue, at 2.13am.

The blaze sparked in the kitchen due to unattended cooking igniting nearby furnishings.

Initially, it had been thought that someone was trapped in the building.

Dean Puttock, watch manager, said: “I went to the neighbour’s garden and the owner was in it. When I spoke to him, he thought that a lodger was still inside the house so we sent a team wearing breathing apparatus in to search the property.”

Four officers wearing breathing masks and armed with thermal imaging cameras entered the terrace property.

However, the lodger was not inside the building.

Two high pressure hoses were used to quell the flames, which caused extensive heat and smoke damage to kitchen.

Dean said the rescued cat was ‘shaken’ by the ordeal and that it ‘struggled free and ran off’ when brought outside.

He is urging people to be careful when cooking and to avoid leaving food unattended.