Council takes legal action against travellers

Travellers are camped in Victoria Park, Worthing. Picture: Eddie Mitchell
Travellers are camped in Victoria Park, Worthing. Picture: Eddie Mitchell

A spokesperson for Worthing Borough Council said it has launched legal action against the travellers camping in a park.

As previously reported, the travellers have been at Victoria Park in Worthing since Tuesday, with five vehicles and four caravans.

Travellers are camped in Victoria Park, Worthing. Picture: Eddie Mitchell

Travellers are camped in Victoria Park, Worthing. Picture: Eddie Mitchell

After welfare checks on the four families were completed by West Sussex County Council. Worthing Borough Council issued a notice asking them to move on.

But after refusing to leave, the borough council has had to resort to getting a court order, which would give it permission to remove them from the site.

A spokesperson for Worthing Borough Council said: “The council is aware of the caravans on Victoria Park and is doing all it can to ensure a swift resolution.

“On this occasion we have had to resort to issuing court proceedings which takes longer than it would compared to being able to direct them to the transit site.

“We are moving as swiftly as we can and will keep the website updated.”

This comes after a pensioner who lives near the park complained to the Herald about the traveller presence, saying it was unfair that they could ‘abuse’ the space.

The woman, who did not wish to be named, said: “The park is for the benefit of everybody in the community, and everybody respects it, but suddenly these people come over and spoil it for everyone.

“It is a small piece of park green. These people have no consideration for anyone other than their own. What makes these people think they can move in?”

A Sussex Police spokesperson added yesterday that they had no reports of travellers refusing to comply with the police or of police assistance being sought.

If the court order is granted, the travellers will have 24 hours to leave the site before council officers, security officers and tow trucks arrive to remove them. Police would also be notified.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.