Bognor resident has lucky escape from house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A man from Bognor had a lucky escape today after fire was sparked in his home by a candle left burning too close to a curtain.

The fire service were called to the flat on Hazel Road just after 3pm, and a crew from Bognor attended within five minutes, quickly followed by a crew from Chichester and Littlehampton.

The occupier had initially tired to extinguish the fire himself using a bowl of water but left the property unharmed.

The fire was put out within half an hour using a hose reel and breathing apparatus, and damage was contained to the front room.

The fire service have advised that the public ensure any candles are placed well away from curtains and furniture and to never leave open flames unattended.

They add that members of the public should make sure they have working smoke alarms fitted in their homes.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.bognor.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BognorRegisObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BogObserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bognor Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.