An appeal for volunteers to support a Littlehampton youth information centre has been launched.
West Sussex County Council is holding roadshows across the county to raise awareness of the FindItOut service and to increase the number of people volunteering.
The centres are visited by around 400 young people monthly and are part of the county council’s young peoples’ service, and volunteers are seen as vital to providing help and guidance to young people between 13 and 25.
Current vacancies are available in Bognor Regis, Burgess Hill, Chichester, Crawley, Horsham, Lancing, and Littlehampton.
Sophie Paris, 16, who has been visiting Worthing FindItOut, has recommended the centres to her peers.
She explained: “I came to FindItOut for support and advice on situations I found myself in and didn’t know what to do.
“I think volunteers are helpful because they’re always there to talk to when you walk in and they’re always there for advice.”
Stephen Hillier, Cabinet Member for Children – Start of Life said: “FindItOut centres provide a great deal of support to a lot of young people in West Sussex. Support includes help with money worries, finding a local job or just wanting to talk about sexual or personal health and lifestyle. They are invaluable as, without volunteers, staff wouldn’t be able to help as many young people let alone complete their routine daily tasks.
“I’d like to stress that volunteers do not need any previous experience or knowledge prior to this role. Training and continuous support is available. I am really proud of our current volunteers and hope to see more throughout West Sussex.”
Roadshows will be taking place between 10am and 11:30am at the following locations and dates:
• Tuesday October 11: Chichester Library, in Tower Street
• Wednesday October 12: Horsham Library, in Lower Tanbridge Way
• Friday October 14: Worthing Library, in Richmond Road
• Wednesday October 19: Willowhale Library, in Pryors Lane, Bognor Regis
For more information or to hear what the current volunteers have to say visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/FIOVolunteer
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LittlehamptonGazette
3) Follow us on Twitter @LhamptonGazette
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Littlehampton Gazette - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.